The following principles will guide the development of patterns developed for the City of Calgary.
- Prioritize citizen's needs first - Design around citizen's needs on the page instead of the City's priority.
- Be useful - Pages should help users accomplish their goals.
- Be human - Make the website approachable, not a barrier to people.
- Transparent - Be up front on what so users know what to expect.
- Accessible to all Calgarians - All citizens regardless of abilities can access City content and services online.
- Information is relevant and situationally aware.
- Use a defined hierarchy - Content has a structure to it to make it easier to understand and consume.
- Consistent branding and design - Demonstrate One City, Once Voice to citizens online.