All patterns available have been vetted for accessibility to meet The City of Calgary’s Digital Accessibility Standards It is vital that people with disabilities can access the information on calgary.ca with or without the use of assistive technologies. In serving city of Calgary citizens, it is our social, economic and legal responsibility to ensure accessibility standards are met.
Major considerations to ensure web components are accessible include but are not limited to the following:
- Text alternatives for non-text content
- Ability to navigate through the site using keyboard only (tabs, arrows, shift)
- Appropriate colour contrast between text and backgrounds
- Consistent navigation / identification and meaningful sequence to information
- Clear labels, instructions and link purpose
- Compatibility with various devices, browsers and assistive technologies
Using patterns outside of their intended purpose or additional modifications may render them inaccessible.